Bikes for Rascals Addicted to Trouble


Friday, July 2, 2010

My reservations with Chinese motors.

My qualms with Chinese engine manufacturing do not come from anything other than experience: I’m not an engineer, I haven’t spent time in a Chinese steel plant, I don’t have a degree in metallurgy, but I do know from 32 years on two wheels that when it comes to steel and alloy production the US, Britain and Japan are unrivalled. China – for all intents and purposes – produces engines that almost perfectly replicate Japanese designs, but (and this is a big BUT) in order to keep a competitive price margin they skimp on the forging method and constituents which - when it comes to something like an engine that must endure unfathomable repetitive stresses – ultimately means there will be metal fatigue and failure. 6 months seems to be the magic time before problems begin to occur. Obviously if one rides only on Sundays then this could translate to years but for the every-day biker it quickly equates to a major and costly pain in the bahookie. This is why I will not review Chinese motorbikes and scooters, not because I can’t see the potential but because I wouldn’t wish that agro on anyone. Much in the same way British bikes were plagued by Lucas electronics in days of old, China’s machines are made from bad metal. My opinion. Enough said. Let’s hope they see the light and improve their processes.