Bikes for Rascals Addicted to Trouble


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

ZERO S


USA - motorcycle (auto) - electric (equivalent 250cc)

I have to say, never needing to stop for gas (as long as you keep your rides to 50 miles or under) and the availability of a Federal tax credit + a sales tax discount adds to the appeal of an all electric motorcycle. This from ZERO is an all-round super space age motard (they also do a dirt and dual sport model) on paper looks like a brilliant trend-setter. I have 2 reservations however, lack of clutch and range. A clutch for me is about control and safety, without it I get apprehensive. The ability to disengage the motor from the drivetrain with a simple lever has largely been the appeal of driving/riding since the advent of motorized transport. Secondly, I’m a long-range biker and will sit in the saddle for a 500 mile day without a second thought, only stopping for fuel and re-hydration...what would a high plains drifter like me do if 4-hour breaks were required every 50 miles or so? Battery trading stations would do the trick but would require a one-size-fits-all cell design...doable? If the electric car & bike designers figure out these two issues I’m on board for the latter. Short of that it is a cool looking machine with a very impressive spec sheet - having built bikes from scratch I can see they have cut no corners, this puppy is state-of-the-art and I would love to test-ride one if the opportunity arose. I should postscript and say if I was simply commuting to-and-from work this would be high on my list of choices even at 10k. There should be no expense spared for sparing the environment for our children to enjoy too!